View Single Post
Unread 09-10-2016, 08:16 AM   #10
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,312 Times in 1,219 Posts

I can't help with a 7/8 ounce loading for bismuth, but 7/8 ounce is a light load for a 12-gauge and bismuth is only about 80% as dense as lead shot and thus will bleed off speed way more rapidly after it leaves the muzzle. Also, of course we are all sportsmen with our SxS's and go out with intentions of only taking shorter decoyed shots, but who can resist a flock of greenheads that flare away at 50 yards or so after a long morning with no action in the blind?

I often write about the use of lower velocity/lighter shot loadings on game animals and how that can inflict shallow wounds and result in cripples when the scene isn't just right or the range stretches out. This was driven home to me after processing grouse and pheasants taken with so-called low pressure factory shells marketed to gents who want same to "be kind" to their vintage guns with old dry wood etc. So you have a box of specialty shells that's supposed to be 1125 or 1150 or even 1200 fps. How do you know that? Have you checked with a shotgun chronograph to verify that speed? Same as you checked the mpg rating on your new vehicle's window sticker versus what you actually get on the road? Do we ever wonder why those vintager-type shells are mild to shoot? Magic dust in the powder? Sure these low pressure factory shells will break clays, and gents will often say how this or that vintager shell will absolutely crush targets, but how many reports have we seen on deep penetration into the vitals of game animals? I for one have seen relatively shallow penetration when such shells are used at moderate to longer ranges.

Best advice I can give for hunting is to use enough gun for the game along with using enough good shot @ the regular speed for hunting loads as we used in our youth.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post: