View Single Post
Unread 05-30-2017, 06:39 PM   #10
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Holcombe View Post

So Tranquility would be worth looking into after finishing with my Nash and Rutledge books?

Bill, FYI, there are two iterations of Derrydale books, the originals from the 1930s and the reprints much later (1990-ish). Prices for these two printings are very (very!) different, but the reading is the same (and great!). If you are getting into Rutledge, be prepared for high prices for his books in original printings, as they are highly collectable. Again, there are various printings and forms of his books. If you are just getting acquainted with Rutledge, you might look for "Archibald Rutledge: The Man and His Books" by Dorothy Stone Harmon with a bibliography (worth the price of the book) by David Cupka. Cupka is a good source for collectable Rutledge books. He lives in the Charleston, SC area.

If you are interested at all in John Allen's book, I'd jump on it. I treasure mine and was able to get Robert Urich to sign it when he came to our campus. He was really astounded that there was someone in the audience that knew about this book (among a University filled with non-hunting academics!!).

Also, if you are not familiar with this website for rare/collectable books, I'd recommend ABE.com. You can get a really good sense of what's out there and what folks are asking.

You are reading some great authors(!) -- enjoy.

(PS I did not have a double copy of Hallowed Years...sorry.)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote