View Single Post
Unread 02-22-2018, 07:43 PM   #29
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
Down Yonder, yes sir I am!! Since back when Bear was coaching there.
Wow you are a pilgrim in an unholy land, for Alabama Football. Though, I do recall that there was a faction living up there during hey day when Alabama and Penn State had their storied series. Yep my fraternity chapter had a running bet with chapter at Penn State. Those Penn State boys were crazy and I thought we were bad in college, but enough of that.

BTW one of my prized possessions is an autographed football from Bryant's 315 team including Mal Moore's signature. Saw Mal at an event about 2 years before he passed and told him about it. He said hang on to it, not alot of them out there especially with whole team signature that he could recall hearing about or even remembered being signed. It was pretty special to have a ball signed because someone had to take the ball and chase everyone down. Luckily my sister was good friends with a football manager and he had it signed about mid September way before they even felt certain that their team would be able to break the record. Asked Mal if he had any autographs or momentos like his first paycheck or something with Bryant's signature or something, just thought it was harmless question. Man cut his eyes almost pissed that I asked that. He said "Naw I don't have any of that stuff, besides if a I got anything from Bryant he would tell us we weren't worth it." Bear was rough on his boys but deep down he cared about em but would not let on but he was about as loyal to them as coaches and players were to him. Those were some gritty times and he would fire and hire em back all in the same day.

Dave, that is awesome about your playing days at Ohio State. What an experience, I hope your not tore up too bad from those days. A lot of my coaches played for Bryant in the 60's and they were some tough hombres and coached like Bryant, but they had a some lingering ailments even back then. Saw one of them the other day that is still great friends with my mom and dad, except he is having trouble now a days. Ol' Urban has it going and reloading the cupboard up there. He made up for that one that got away from OSU in inaugural playoff series.

Agree, College football is a wonderful sport. I think next year will be a wild one and think there will be some surprises next year. The parody of talent level is to close across the board nowadays. Its always interesting.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post: