View Single Post
H Gough signature illustrated
Unread 05-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
Captain Bob

Member Info

Default H Gough signature illustrated

A few weeks ago Tom Schiffer and I spent a long Monday afternoon visiting with Jack Haugh, a friend for over thirty five years who has built custom guns for both of us, and perhaps has done work for some on this forum. After sitting for several hours talking in the parlor of the house, Jack, also wanting to stretch his legs, took us out to the shop to check his reference books on several points about finishing formulae which he had brought up earlier in the discussion. After expounding for several minutes on how to impart a subtle silver tone to a niter blue finish through precise chemical introduction and replenishment, he pulled out a box of color photos to illustrate this objective. While searching through the three inch stack of prints for a particular shot he suddenly said, “Bob, here’s something you don’t see every day” and handed me the attached detail image. He went on, “it’s off a double A, you boys like Parkers, don’t you?”

The inscription you might find difficult to read in the photo says is, “H Gough Designer & Engraver.” Not recalling if this was illustrated in TPS, Jack was kind enough to let me borrow the photograph until I could could check it out and scan it for the forum if not. It is not; however, H(arry) Gough is referenced twice and this method of signature is described. I hope you will find seeing this as surprising and interesting as Tom and I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H Gough signiture.jpg (390.9 KB, 77 views)
Visit Bob Roberts's homepage!