View Single Post
Unread 09-15-2018, 08:45 AM   #34
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,425 Times in 686 Posts

Thomas:

The sleeved ones may be the soundest, but find out from a qualified professional. And, after having them examined and shooting them, as you say, “at least a little, just to say I did it”, you may find that breaking clay targets and seeking wild birds while carrying a gun is more fun than rifle and revolver shooting.

The $40 fee is for Membership in the Parker Gun Collectors Association, which organization is about appreciation of the guns, the people who made them; researching them and preserving pertinent records. The Forum is one component of the package, and there surely are very knowledgeable people in the Association frequenting it who are fully-qualified to provide insights.

A few years back, like you, I knew very little about the four Parker guns that were my father’s. I revered the guns, as they were daily material reminders as to the kind of person my father was, but at that time I exclusively shot Remington 1100s. Those semi-autos I had bought to “learn” on, intending some day to “graduate” to the Parkers. (Today I usually shoot the vintage guns, but remain an undergraduate.)

In fact, when I joined by sending in my $40, I had no expectation of participating in much of anything. I had contacted a couple of people who happened to be members so as to learn some basics of manipulating the old guns. And, without the gratuitous advice from such members as Dean Romig and John Dunkel, I probably would have done some damage to those Parkers just trying to figure them out on my own. So, my principle reason for sending in the $40 was to support in some small way the Association because of the help I had received. Since then the benefits to me have exceeded anything I could have anticipated.

And, do tell us about your dog. He looks eager.