View Single Post
Wow- I have only seen and cast one Gillum--
Unread 10-22-2009, 07:28 PM   #20
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Wow- I have only seen and cast one Gillum--

I will share a reported story about the late Harold Steele Gillum, who was a friend of the late Jim Payne apparently. He lived in CT (Ridgefield perhaps) and like Jim Payne, was known for his meticulous finish varnish work. Someone had tipped "Pinky" Gillum off that another un-named rod maker was going to drop in for a surprise visit, hoping that "Winnie" Gillum would allow him into their home, where he had his rod shop in the basement- So "Pinky" was waiting for him. had a three inch wide painters' siding brush in his hand, dripping with varnish, and told the "visitor" that he was too busy finishing a rod to talk, to come back another day. Don't know if that is 100% true or not, but from what I have heard about Mr. Gillum, sounds about right.

The really, IMO anyway, sad thing about the great gunmakers, also the great cane rod makers and fine (Vom Hofe, MacChristian, Walker, etc.) marque reel makers is- their works of superior design and craftsmanship become of greatest value only after they pass on and are no longer making them.
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote