View Single Post
Unread 08-13-2015, 02:29 PM   #6
Eric Estes
PGCA Member

Member Info

Speaking of Greener, I recently read his book "The Gun and It's Development". In my volume it was about page 239 where he spoke at length about the pattern welded barrel types. He made reference to strength/bursting trials the Birmingham proof house conducted of 39 different varieties. English 3 stripe laminated came in first. Some of the fancier patterns were further down the list in this trial. For example he characterized Belgian 6 stripe as "overtwisted" and weakened.

Although I did not know what to make of it all it was very interesting reading and it was clear to me at least that Mr. Greener seemed partial to English barrels and less fancy patterns. There are a couple places in the book where he seems to turn his nose up at some of the fancier patterns Belgium producers would make. He seemed to think it was more about marketing and glitz than functionality. At least that was my take away.

Not that this has any bearing on what the Greener company might be doing today, but I found his assertion that some fancier grade Damascus from Liege and elsewhere might be weaker than other simpler patterns very surprising.

IMO they are all beautiful and I will pick any of them over fluid steel every time.
Eric Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eric Estes For Your Post: