W & C Scott & Son doubles
Unread 06-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default W & C Scott & Son doubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore LeDurt View Post
Jack, not quite sure what you are asking, but the names omitted from your list probably exceed the number listed. If you are trying to compare quality in "gamekeeper" guns, good luck. The British trade made numerous B and C quality guns for the non rich. Many of these companies also made "best" grades. The difference is in finish and engraving, and most the barrels and actions were made by a few companies and only the finish work by the maker.

If they are still functioning and have stood the test of time (and have good barrel wall thickness), they will probably continue for years.
These fine London guns once 'ruled the roost' both here and over there for live bird shooters: W & C Scott, Purdey, Henry Aiken, Joseph Land, Westley Richards, Powell. I wish I hung on to my grandfather's 12 hammer Purdey live bird gun- he sent it back to London in July 1914 to be re-proofed for smokeless pigeon loads- bad timing- didn't get it back until 1922- "spot o'war, old chappie, ey wot?" With Canada part of the British Empire back then, I wonder how many of the fine London and Birmingham made double guns are extant in the great land of hockey, walleye, great beers and superb waterfowling--???
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote