Thread: Titanic Steel
View Single Post
Unread 01-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #17
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,619 Times in 2,667 Posts

Then why don't why guys give such a new person the full explanation? Give him the load charts, the TPS service and proof tables, the catalog recommended loads. He says he has a 1930's D; I assume 12ga and you know as well as I do that those were almost always 1 1/2 frame, maybe a 2, with a 1 1/4oz at 3 1/4 dre per Parker hang tags, which is still under the service limits. That is a stout load and one can buy such shells from all the modern manufacturers.

Why must people presume that the stock is infirm, or that the barrels are thin? Why don't we just ask him? One of our new guys that was with me the other day showed me his new old GHE 12ga from the late 1920's. That gun will handle these reasonable modern loads. 1 1/2 frame, good barrels, great wood, even thicker than usual in the wrist. Why don't we give these guys the full story instead of maybe presuming that they are not capable of understanding Parker loads or recognizing that they have a cracked wrist or something else that would limit the gun?

Maybe we do a FAQ that carries the full explanation, with a subjective recommendation to use or reload for low pressure when a person doesn't need to use the full capabilities of the gun, but we have never been able to achieve any consensus on that.

To me its like a person saying he has has a nice old Corvette and people writing in and saying he shouldn't drive it over 60 mph.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post: