View Single Post
Dogs at rest with the seasons over
Unread 03-07-2019, 02:09 PM   #1
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Default Dogs at rest with the seasons over

The grouse season has come to a close in NY, unfortunately. Duck season has been over for a while. I really pounded the grouse since I bought my year old started setter in early January. We took a lot of birds with my little Jesse and she handled the birds better than I had a right to expect for a year old dog. I got lucky with this one. She turned out to be among the best year old dogs I’ve owned. Always under control and she doesn’t crowd the birds or bump them. I used an E collar initially with her but no longer need it. She’ll need to go back to a trainer in the spring to sharpen up her retrieving and make her steady to wing and shot. Then she’ll be finished. I expect this dog to become a true grouse dog when she gets another season under her belt. All she needs is to be hunted hard, which I will do with my grouse coverts only minutes away. I’m looking forward to the 2019 season already.

The waterfowl season has been over for Clark, the golden retriever, for a while. But we still spend plenty of time with the ducks in the Great Swamp observing and just enjoying them. It’s one of my favorite things. We’ll head into the swamp this afternoon and stay there till dark spying on the wintering mallards and blacks.

Clark and Jesse often share the same chair when resting. The Parkers in the background are my hunting guns. I use them all during the season. Each has a specific purpose and use. I particularly enjoy the 10 bores for waterfowl. I load 1 ¼ oz, 1200 fps 10 bore cartridges which is perfect for my shooting. Most of my shooting is done about ¾ of a mile hike in and the heavy 10 bores are a tad heavy to carry in, but I don’t really care. I enjoy shooting them too much to leave them home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190109_103518.jpg (135.4 KB, 8 views)
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post: