View Single Post
Unread 05-25-2018, 02:42 PM   #19
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

No doubt that you got good results with Permalyn products. I stayed away from Permalyn because I believed that they used synthetic polymers. I could be wrong. I use thinned tung oil for the filler. I soak, let dry, soak again till the stock will take no more tung oil. Then I wet sand it with the grain using tung oil and spread the sawdust mud cross grain with my fingers. I keep repeating the process till all pores are filled level. Then I hand rub in Tru-Oil and wipe it off with a cotton cloth. I keep doing this till I get the depth of finish I require. It takes a while to finish or refresh a stock but it’s worth the effort.

I’ve heard negative comments on this site about George Brothers Lin-Speed. I’ve used that also and the results are similar to Tru-Oil. It does tend to produce a shiner finish, but this can be easily adjusted. I am going to try Timber-lux for the heck of it. I’ll start a stock with it this week.

There are many methods and products which provide an appropriate finish for Parkers.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote