View Single Post
Unread 08-13-2017, 01:40 AM   #5
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,347 Times in 673 Posts

The cost of a Parker in 1916 may have been inhibitive for the average gunner, but compensating for that could have been another historical datum. I believe I read that prior to WW I 90% of American were born on farms. Many may have traveled daily into the city or village to pursue various trades or professions, but all those folks grew up in close proximity to firearms, garden pests and game animals. Thus, many may have been inclined to limiting their gun purchases to such as a Harrington & Richardson single shot, but many others would have had ample opportunity to use and may have had a preference for a Parker.

Anecdotal illustration, here: My father's favorite Parker gun, of the four he acquired (which included a DHE 12, a VH 12 and a VH 16), was a # 2-framed Trojan 12 gauge. It was purchased from a local farmer who was born in the late 19th Century and used the gun for pest control. He sold the gun to my father after his son-in-law, a soldier stationed in 1950s Germany, brought back for him from Europe a more au courant Sauer.

Postscript: Months later the farmer said he didn't like "that new gun" -- the Sauer. After repeating the phrase a couple times in quick succession Dad got the message, and just smiled and said, "sorry".

REC
Russell E. Cleary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russell E. Cleary For Your Post: