View Single Post
Recomendations for stock repair
Unread 12-28-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
Jim Signore
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Recomendations for stock repair

I picked up a nice 16ga Trojan about 20 years ago, stuck it in the closet and never looked at it again. A shame I know, but such is life sometimes. Well recently I took it back out and looked it over. Seems it wasn't as clean as I remembered it being and needed some attention. Screws all out of time, safety not working and so on. I fixed all the screws and the safety but I came across something I don't recall at all. The lower tang screws that goes from the underside up into the top tang was way off, and seems the wood is the issue. The metal tightens up on the wood, but only when the screw is tightened down so far the end of it pokes out the top tang about an 1/8th of an inch. When the screw is set correctly, the wood is very loose on the metal. Doesn't appear to be a restock but it does look like someone hogged out the inside of the inletting for some reason. No oil soak or crush, everything was just opened up, no idea why though. Anyway back to my question, should I just glass in the whole action or glass in a few scrap of wood in the loose spots and then refit the action to the wood?? It doesn't have much left in the way of original condition or finish as far as blue or case color but the wood is in great shape other than being loose. I'd like to keep it for a safe and fun shooter, I know it won't ever be much more than that. Just looking for opinions. Thanks. Jim
Jim Signore is offline   Reply With Quote