View Single Post
Unread 09-28-2021, 08:51 PM   #16
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,695 Times in 872 Posts

A couple of decades ago four of us were goose hunting on the last day, having a spectacular shoot with the bag limit set at five. Here comes the game warden right to our blind as the geese are still coming in trying to land and we are not near our limit. He stands there interrupting our hunt and after counting geese asks for our licenses. My buddy who had moved from Texas and had not been goose hunting for years had purchased his duck stamp the day before. Of course he forgot to sign it. In the warden's pocket it went. He took my license and looked at it and into his pocket it went. We were both issued tickets for unsigned Duck Stamps. I protested that my signature was right there on the stamp. He replied that I had signed it at the bottom and it was supposed to be across the middle. The instructions say to sign it on the face. That means the front, and no particular spot is designated. It did not matter to him.

The day of the trial my buddy and I both took off from work. I knew the Commonwealths Attorney and explained to him that there is no designated space to sign it and it was signed. We also argued that since it was the last day of the season and the stamp had been purchased the day before, and the warden ruined our hunt so there was no way he could pass it on to someone else, the C.A. agreed to drop the cases.

When the case was called I also knew the judge and after the C.A. advised him that the Commonwealth was dropping the case, it was dismissed. Smoke flew out of the warden's ears. The next year the warden found himself in the far reaches of south western Virginia to deal with the mountain folks, far away from us. We were not his only victims of useless charges it seems.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post: