View Single Post
Unread 12-10-2023, 01:07 PM   #30
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,576 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
Edgar, the so-called "pack" reamer was used for slow scraping or burnishing of the bores and chokes. It cut away very little metal and left them with a smooth surface and ready for the polishing rod. See attached pic which may be greatly expanded.

For info, this and my preceding reply are excerpts from my second to last DGJ article which was to be in the Summer 2022 issue when the plug was pulled. I requested both to be returned, and some day I may find another publisher for both.
I sincerely hope you are able to publish it, as I find this fills in some blanks for me. I have found other references to a fine cutting/ burnishing tool, but not as it pertains to Parker Brothers.
I am especially interested in the tools which were 'expanded' by use of wedges, or shims. Peter Johnson references such tools in his book. The British also used tools, employing hardwood for increasing the cutting diameter.
Lastly, I was under the possibly false assumption the the ribs were not part of the initial soldering process, but installed in a second operation, because of the use of different, or softer solders.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post: