Thread: Leaching Oil
View Single Post
No surprise about retired cabinetmakers in this area
Unread 03-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default No surprise about retired cabinetmakers in this area

My friend Brad grew up in Grand Rapids, MI- at one time home to most of the best handmade furniture furniture in the USA if not the world. Interesting to me that the German word for Cabinetmaker is exactly the same in English. Eine pensionierter deutscher Cabinetmaker. Brad once put me on to a good product for stock finish touch-ups- WATCO oil- my guess is- the older Watkins door-to-door sales era. Hard to find, I use Formby's tung oil.

Having worked with some retired Dutch and German ancestry carpenters on Habitat projects- aud Deutsch- carpenter--Tischler-- rough-in (framing) level carpenter rau-im Tischler, and finish (not from Finland however) grade carpenter- Endetischler--

Brad has done two stock repair/install projects for me in past two years- the replacement pg Buttstock for my GHE 12 project Parker- had a slight crack in the lower part of the grip, you'd need a magnifying glass to see it- he also repaired the pg on my son-in-law's "pet" rifle- a LH Browning A-bolt in .270 Win-- good for another 100 years I'd guess-
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote