Thread: Ruffs up north
View Single Post
Unread 11-09-2018, 12:56 PM   #54
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 2,014 Posts

I have been swamped at work, and physically beat up since my return from 2 weeks in the UP. It was a great trip, with a few snafu's. I had better weather than those of you who headed north early in Oct., but still was a little wet.
My main goal was to get my 2 female 15 mo old setters, Willie and Doodle into birds. Goal Accomplished!! I took up 2 greenhorn pups and brought back 2 birddogs. It took the first week to really get them going, but oh my, when the light went on in their pretty little heads, they took off exponentially. I could rely on getting several shots each day over their solid points--they could not rely on me making those shots, however enough were made to make them happy. This was all on grouse, as the woodcock had pretty much departed. Besides finding birds, they will now automatically Back each other, or my other dogs, they also are nicely retrieving, and did a good job of finding "dead" birds that did not cleanly drop. The old reliable veterans Betty and Fancy did there usual good jobs as expected. Betty at 14 still amazes me with her grit and determination--she cant hear, but nothing wrong with her full choke nose.
I mostly used my little VHE 20. A beat up little gun whose original 28" tubes were cut to 26.5, no finish left on this gun, but so comfortable to carry and shoot. A little German 16 hammer( 5 lbs 13 oz) with 30" cyl/F was the only other gun used.
I had fish dinner one Friday night with Rich Anderson, at the Ace of Clubs bar in Sagola, and got to see Kenny Graft also.
I hunt long and hard, and into the second week knew something just wasnt right. I used to run marathons for Sh*ts and giggles, and now felt like I was at high altitude and couldnt get enough oxygen, and my chest was aching.
Basically developed a walking pneumonia, and left one day early to come home. Not to worry, I am back to my old self, and ready to head off to Kansas after pheasant and quail. Well, enough of my drivel, I will post a few pics each day of the trip. Hope you enjoy!
Willie's first grouse culminating a retrieve to hand.
Doodle's first grouse also retrieved.
Willie looks like a magazine cover on point--hard to take pics when a young dog is pointing like that!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UP 2018 072.jpg (526.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg UP 2018 077.jpg (577.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg UP 2018 087.jpg (600.4 KB, 0 views)