Thread: All brass hulls
View Single Post
Unread 11-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
Jim Schultz
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie,
I don't load 10 gauge, but Dave Casey told me that he knows a Cowboy Action shooter that has loaded his RMC hulls over 3000 times. At some point the primer pockets become worn and Dave bores out the back of the hull and threads in a new primer pocket, which is cheaper than buying a new hull.

Mark,
Let me preface my answer with I believe that all barrels are unique and what works for me may not work for you.
MY 12 gauge hulls are loaded with 1-piece plastic wads, non-toxic and though they are adequate, I consider them a work in process. My 1 ounce loads are card and fiber in 16 gauge and I doubt that I could improve on the results. They pattern consistently at the distances I shoot, are low pressure and depending on powder charge, the velocities according to my Chronograph are 1238 and 1328 fps. respectively. Yes, I have Dave's loading tools. He also made me some dippers for field loading from scrap large bore rifle cases and I put wood handles on them. I carry a "loading box" with all of the tools, some powder, shot, primers, shot/powder dippers and cards and filler wads to reload in the field.
Jim Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Schultz For Your Post: