View Single Post
Unread 02-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,252 Posts

This is an update on this 'restoration'. I sent the VHE last week to Brad Bachelder. I had heard so many good things on this forum about Brad's work that I thought I'd give his shop a shot at this double. After receiving the gun and per my letter of instruction, Brad called me to discuss his findings. He had taken the gun down and was ready to go over his findings. I was struck and very impressed with the level of detail as Brad reviewed the condition of the VHE from stem to sterm. Very thorough and professional. We talked about how thew restoration work would be done from refinishing the stock, de-oiling those part of the wood that showed oil etc, bedding, re-cutting the checkering, 'striking' certain parts of the external surfaces of the barrels that showed some minor pitting and the depth of the metal etc, fixing a small deformity in one choke, cleaning and lubrication of all internal parts, checking out the ejectors, springs. etc. etc. I was left with the feeling that this double is in very good hands and will be restored in the most professional and period appropriate manner. Some of my PGCA brothers have asked me in their pm's to let them know how this turns out. This is just an interim update. Will post pics when Brad finishes the work we've jointly agreed makes sense to do. But I am really feeling good about the choice I've made. one.
The Following User Says Thank You to allen newell For Your Post: