King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell E. Cleary View Post
Bill:
That surely is a beautiful gun.

In my copy of Diggory Hadoke’s THE BRITISH BOXLOCK GUN & RIFLE, page 200 (which book I see open on your desk in your photos) I read that the classic William Evans gun is a “high quality, finely scroll engraved, top-lever game gun with intercepting sears, screw grip third bite and a highly-figured straight-hand stock. He also says that this grade of an Evans gun would typically have a “Shouldered forend wood”; drop points on the stock and ribanded fences.

Your gun appears to have all that in every way, assuming I am seeing a “shouldered” forend, a characteristic I have not been able to find a definition for. If that is the style of forend in your hand, would you please describe it and how or when it might be advantageous to have it as a feature?
Yes, that was the description I was going by. Although I had no idea what a shouldered forend is. Diggory also has a post on the DGJ forum where he said a good way to determine Best or not on early 20th century William Evans were if it had ribanded fences that were engraved which mine does.

However, based on Mr. Campbell's description of a shouldered forend it does not. So who knows. I am very pleased with the gun regardless.