Thread: Buying ?
View Single Post
Unread 01-07-2019, 04:30 PM   #17
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

Nice, Richard.

After moving into our house, I gathered about 4/5 cords of fresh cut & split white oak that I mined from our woods and built "Holz Hausens", which apparently, are popular throughout Europe, obviously. I stacked it all on a hill-top in an area that would maximize exposure to our predominant winds so they'd blow through the stacks while also maximizing sunlight. Assembled the stacks in August/Sept and by Oct/Nov the next year, it was dry and burned great. (actually burned some the same Dec I stacked and it burned pretty good, but not quite there). That's fast for white oak. Next year, one full yr later, it was prime firewood and about fully seasoned. It's a pretty good and effective technique of stacking firewood but a bit slow building until you get the hang of it. Dry's out firewood quick though and if you build the "roofs" (which I didn't do) will shed water. I've included a link to a quick overview.

(sorry for the hijack)

You people are nuts

Any Repro is a great buy in todays market - they're all great guns, even the heavy 20's.

https://www.trybackyardfarming.com/b...irewood-stack/

Here’s a quick shot of my first go-around and what ultimately became an ambitious 18/20’ diameter stack about 7’ high, that failed miserably. Failed b/c it was just too big & b/c of the volume of wood that was moving and shifting around as it dried. Lesson learned.

Stacks at about 10/12’ diameter work pretty well if you build them up to about 4’ tall, give it time to shift a little, and then pile the stack up to about 7’ tall for the season. Multiple stacks put a lot of firewood in a relatively small area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (413.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (336.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (231.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Scot Cardillo; 01-07-2019 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: to add photos
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Cardillo For Your Post: