View Single Post
Unread 12-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #29
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

I have been thinking about this short chamber 12ga issue a bit and I think it comes down to what is best and what you can get away with. IMO what is best is to use shells the same length as the chamber, preferably low pressure factory shells or reloads generating the pressures of shells in the period the gun was made. Another option is having the chamber's lengthened provided you have sufficient barrel wall thickness and shoot 2 3/4 shells. I know that is heresy but here is how it goes when you go to sell your gun; the potential buyer will use short chambers against you as a negative to get the price down, or they will use the lengthened chambers against you to get the price down. If the gun is a lower grade or has lost it orginality by a restock what is the harm? That decision is best made after the gun is classified as a shooter rather than an investment. What you can get away with is another matter, good sound Parkers can take heavy loads whether the barrels are composite or fluid steel. How many guns did Sherman Bell try to blow up and failed and how much pressure did it take to blow up a Dam GH and Vulcan Steel VH, near 32,000 psi. I choose to treat my guns kindly with lower pressure reloads, some of my guns had their chambers lengthen others not. They are all in tact and have suffered all their wear and tear by being taken out in the field not from shooting them with any load. Remember high pressure doesn't crack stocks, heavy recoil and loose stock screws crack stocks so I try to keep my use of heavy loads to a minimum and check each gun and tighten screws if needed. Good luck everyone.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote