Tweed's gun
Unread 06-30-2020, 09:11 AM   #1
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

Default Tweed's gun

I always say I have enough guns - but a new dog doesn't have any of his own

About the time we found Tweed - I found a post on GB listing a field grade 20 gauge Ithaca Flues wanting offers - a quick look at the photo's showed a grade 1 ejector gun in rough shape finish wise but still basically solid.

I made an offer which was accepted and another project arrived. Certainly not one of the 4E + so artfully engraved Ithacas we have seen here lately, but a gun deserving to be back in the coverts

the bores were great but the outside of the barrels were rough - the wood had a few issues, the grip cap was gone, the top lever was broken and when it came time to disassemble it I had to drive the crudded over under bolt out.

the barrels polished well after removing a band of outside pitting that looked like the result of the gun sitting in a rack for a long time. the wood was de-oiled and after some Acraglass and Timberluxe came out OK. A new top lever was fitted to replace the broken one - doing that makes you realize how non standard parts were and how much hand fitting was required - and it makes you understand a good gunsmith's rates

then some polishing of some internals and its all back together waiting for October and Tweed's first bird

a couple befores and an after
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RSL_6235c.jpg (533.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg RSL_6224c2.jpg (494.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg RSL_7347.jpg (476.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg RSL_7481c.jpg (522.7 KB, 48 views)