View Single Post
Unread 04-02-2018, 09:21 AM   #14
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow View Post
Charlie,

They are selling the fully loaded 2 1/2 ounce loads for $12 a shell ($59 for a box of 5 without shipping).

https://www.mackspw.com/Apex-Tungste...-Ga-3.5-2.5-Oz

I think if one crammed 2 1/2 ounces of this stuff into a big gun that 60 to 70 yards plus would not be a problem. But I would like to get him a whole lot closer. But if he makes me mad enough after two weeks of fooling with him, well I just might make a special load just for him. I've ended many a spring having been after the same wise old bird for two weeks and being outsmarted every day.
Several years ago had a big old Tom working a pasture on a hill slope. Had jake and hen dekes at about 25 yards. He was a huge bird. Dang bird sat there in full view about 300 yards down hill from us henned up and gobbled at us for 3 straight hours but would not move toward us. Heck my hunting partner even let out a loud fart and bird hammered back at that. At about 10 o'clock we were close to calling no joy and that dang bird started casually ambling our way. I guess out of curiosity.

My buddy was a bit exposed and could not move but turkey hung up at what I thought was 50 yards. Was hunting with a 12 gauge shooting 3 inch shells and had just taken a bird a few weeks before at 50 yards with same setup but I wanted him in closer to be sure. He stood there looking straight at my partner. It lasted about 5 minutes but it felt like an eternity and bird started looking nervous and turned to take step back down the hill. I decided to cut loose. I knocked about two feathers out of him and dang bird lit out running down the hill to bottom of pasture. No kidding dang bird then stopped and looked up at us, puffed up and strutted some more and shook like a dog and then ambled off.

After he left we went and stepped off and instead of 50 yards he was 65 yards. Right where I thought he was standing was a little hump that I estimated correctly was 50 yards. Problem was there a slight depression after that hump could not see from angle of sitting then another hump past that bird was actually standing on. Judging distances in open pasture with pasture grass where you can't see feet and sitting down low with no land marks can be tough.

Sure wish I had some of that tungsten then. Found out later that bird got harvested by somebody else and it weighed out at 25 lbs and had a 15 inch beard. No record but a dang big bird.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote