View Single Post
Unread 08-13-2017, 04:57 PM   #20
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Johanen View Post
CL. how are your crimps with this wad column? How deep are you seating the SP10 wad? I found that using a 16 ga. lubed 1/2 inch fiber filler with a .125 nitro card in the wad cup gives me perfect crimps with no dishing. Without the .125 card I found I had dished crimp with some open centers. I am asking only because your .375 filler is quite a bit shorter than my fiber/nitro card filler combination. I had my 1881 Greener out today on the clays course using both Cheddite and Federal hulls and crushed the clays. No large chips and most were vaporized. The 19 grains of Red Dot with an ounce and a eighth of 7.5 shot works very well. Works nicely with all three hulls. Both my Greener and George T. Abbey(probably a Scott made gun) have laminated steel barrels and the tested pressure ranges are comfortable in these heavy barrels. Neither guns are tightly choked or overly heavy at under 9 pounds. I think of them as over bored heavy 12's. Great guns and great loads.
Eric FWIW I do about the same as you with the Federal hull and 19gr of Red Dot. I use a 1/2" 16ga fiber filler wad and a piece of a cheerio to achieve a proper folded crimp using the SP-10 wad. I am not sure how Craig is getting a good crimp with a much shorter filler wad column but obviously he is. Here are three random Federal's loaded with 19gr of RD for the soon to start crow season. Thanks again Craig for sharing this information with us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0813171653.jpg (463.8 KB, 4 views)