Unread 05-06-2016, 10:05 AM   #25
David Penland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Thanks to all for advice on the trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
David,
Thank you for posting a picture of the 20g that you posted about. It helps us in accurately commenting on your gun instead of just speculating.

The condition of your gun is what some would call a "rough weather hunter". One you can take out and get good service out of and not worry about getting it messed up.

Case coloring this gun is the LAST concern you should have. Other matters like barrel blue and wood condition always trump frame condition in my book when it comes to what should and shouldnt be restored in a priority list standpoint.

The only way this gun should be considered being re-colored is if a FULL restorstion was being done. And even then, the amount of surface prep to the frame would be great because of the damage already caused by active rust.

Shoot it and enjoy.
Thank you for your assessment Brian. I agree and have already started working on the barrels and the wood. I picked up the gun from a nice lady who said her dad purchased the gun. I plan on posting pictures when I finish. If I were a financially independent fellow I would own many high grade Parkers and Smiths. As is I will continue to search for the diamonds in the rough and enjoy them for what they are, awesome examples of American art and quality craftsmanship.
David Penland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to David Penland For Your Post: