View Single Post
Unread 07-10-2019, 06:52 PM   #9
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
Not to stray from topic here, but the colors obtained by nitre salts is dependent strictly on temperature. Not time.
Well, yes if the salts are a given temp and you put the given part in and then remove it before it comes up to the temp of the salts, it will reach a color different than normal for the temp of the salts.
But... what I am getting at is, if the part reaches the temp of the salts, it will turn that color for that temp range. Regardless of how long the part is in the salts.

The same goes with flame bluing. The part will change the range of colors as the temp increases.

Nitre salts can also give nice black colors in the 750-825 degree range.
This is the proper finish for Parker trigger guards, and triggers, ssbps, etc...

In fact, I nitre blued a large lot of parts this afternoon.
I agree with what you have said. The normal method when trying to produce faux case colors is to heat the salts to 600 degrees and then placing the frame in the salts and then lifting the frame clear of the salts every 30 seconds or so to view under a strong light. The process is repeated untill the desired colors and contrast are achieved.

The 20 bore frame does show some variation in colors, althought slight. This is why I contend that the frame was done with nitre.....albeit a poor job.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote