View Single Post
Unread 01-21-2019, 10:01 PM   #5
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

autumn days,
I am going to borrow an older winchester side by side from the 40's soon. The gun is way heavier with 30 inch barrels. I purchased the beretta 20 gauge with 26" barrels for grouse and woodcock. It works great in thick stuff, but until I try the older heavier gun, I am hoping it will swing smoother etc. I am hoping to hear from someone that has had a newer gun like me, and went to an older gun, I know everyone is different, but just hoping that its not a huge adjustment I really want to hunt with an older side by side. Double triggers concern me because I hunt pheasants in jan. and feb. when its cold. Also I am wondering if the shorter 12 gauge shells will have recoil similar to my 20 gauge. The fox forum guy gave me a place to buy the older shorter shells. Then I am wondering about getting a 16 gauge vs. the 20 gauge, or just find a 12 and use the lighter shorter shells. A lot of answers I will get hopefully after borrowing my buddies 12 gauge. Then looking for an old gun to buy when I don't know what to look for. I would rather buy through a forum like this when guys know a lot, or my local gun dealer that I will be getting fitted through. I need to learn about what grade of gun to buy if I am just going to hunt or I do like the looks of the grades just above the field grade, so need to think that out too. Do most grades hold their value if they are kept in good shape? Just questions like these, this forum has been helpful, so I will keep investigating and learn, and I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks, Ed
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post: