View Single Post
Unread 06-30-2019, 09:16 PM   #3
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
paul harm may can help you with the black powder loads in 8 ga....if this old gun of yours is in good shape she will handle the 2 ounce load with ease.....she ll need to be in good shape with the 3 ounce load...i have shot 3 ounces loading smokeless powder in the 8 ga and the 10 ga....the 8 gauge seems to like big shot like no 2 and bb shot my guns patterened the best with large shot....your gun should make a awsome turkey gun.....charlie
Thats the big question , Im anxious to get it in hand to inspect the bores .
It looks to have been kept in decent condition and the nipples appear to be in good shape .

Charlie in Georgia #2 is actually legal for Turkey , now no one uses it but I am curious as to how the larger shot would pattern in the 8 gauge .
I have shot 3oz 10 gauge loads from nitro ammo in a 10lb zephyr single shot .
It was brutal to best describe it . I have owned so far about 5 10 gauges , 2 sxs with 2 7/8 chambers and the other 3.5" . Honestly the 2oz loads @1300fps and the 2 1/4 oz loads never bothered me as far as recoil goes .The 2 oz loads did pattern better than the 2 1/4oz loads in the 10 ga 3.5s for me . Now I have read but dont know how true this is , that these guns with the double keyways that keep the barrels in place were designed for heavier loads . Now that I have any intention to shoot max loads . 2oz loads in a 16lb gun should be pretty soft and should be close to a square shot column in the 8 gauge ?
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote