View Single Post
Unread 05-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #29
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

On Saturday, 12 May the Lapeer Michigan Sportsmen’s Club held its annual Lower Peninsula SxS Association Spring Shoot. The PGCA provided the centerpiece display with 10 Gauges from U to C Grade, AH 12, AH 12 upgrade, and a few other splendid examples of well preserved and restored Parkers. Many of those display guns were also shot during the day.
Sixty-six shooters participated between the rain showers in sporting clays, 5-stand, duck tower, and the pigeon ring. Aside from intermittent delays due to shooters dodging the rain, it seemed all were pleased with the event. Paul “Bladesmith” Harm organized the event to include a great steak dinner at day’s end.

After the shooting was over the “Parker Guys” gathered for a photos. Included from left to right are:
Destry, Paul S. Jr., Kurt Dollar Grade, Paul S. Sr., Steve (face only), Terry E., Mark Big Friend Ten, Dave L, Rich C.O.B., Bill G., Eric Opening Day, Paul Harm, Forgot his Name but he needs to buy a Parker!, Parker Bachelder, and Brad Bachelder.

Opening Day with a wonderful CSMC FE Fox 20 Gauge 30”

COB with an English gun

Dollar Grade with Brad Bachelder holding a Twist barreled Grade 1 Parker

Brad at the ready

Dollar Grade shooting Black Powder in 10 Gauge Top Action (hammer) Grade 3

Paul Sr with a vent rib Parker

Paul Jr with a Grade 1 Twist Barreled Parker

Who is that Crazy Old Bastxxd?

Paul Harm in the Top Hat and Dave D. shuttled shooter to the starting line

Dave D. in the cart with Parker B., Joe S. and Bill G.

A day in the forest…

Joe S. ready to shoot a nice Baker with Dollar Grade and COB in the foreground

The ever gracious Carol Barnes of Gunnerman Books, unknown, Jon Hosford maker of the best bore gauge set available!, and another unknown to me English Gun shooter

Paul V.

Lady Carol and her English Gentlemen

Finally, yours truly, with a new to me BFT. The BFT handle came to me because Long ago at Hidden Hollow as I was shooting a ten-pound 32" DH 10 exceptionally well on a fast "grouse-woods" course. After smashing an few fast targets this old Marine's pie-hole bellowed, "Big F---ing Ten" in reverence to my weapon. Hey, it's a Marine thing! Fortuantely before I could utter a profanity I noticed that Debby F. and Kathy R., i.e. PCGA "ladies", were present. The phrase was spoken as “Big FFF-riend Ten”! That’s how call signs and handles are made…

Yesterday I shot the event with a new-to-me 1889 DH 10 with 30" barrels, each with over .030" MBWT. This restored Parker is on a #2 Frame and weighs but 8 lbs 2 oz. I was the ninth prospective buyer to call the seller about this under-priced gem. No guts, no glory!

The sporting clays event was won with a 41 of 50. I posted high score on our 9 man squad with a 37 which is far above my average! There is something both magic and forgiving about a Short 10!

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post: