View Single Post
stuborn screws
Unread 05-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

Default stuborn screws

I wish I could remember where I read this tip - but it came in handy.

I was trying to remove a screw that did not want to budge, and there was no way I was gong to bugger up the slot on this one.

But I remembered a gunsmithing article (may have been in Shoooting Sportsman but i am not sure) that had instructions on how to remove a stuck screw

NOW - for this method - you need to absolutely remember three things

UNPLUG YOUR DRILL PRESS

FIT THE SLOTTED BIT TO THE SCREW HEAD EXACTLY

UNPLUG YOUR DRILL PRESS

so - I took a bit from my Brownells set and ground the width and length to a perfect fit to the screw slot.

then, after padding the action with leather I placed it firmly in the drill press vice making sure the screw head was parallel with the table. Then - locking the bit in the collet, I lowered the bit and moved the vice until the slotted bit was lined up and was fully in the screw slot.

now - I locked the vertical so that the bit could not ride out of the slot and anchored the vice so that it could not move.

did I mention - unplug the drill press --

now - using the collet as a screw driver handle - slowly but firmly rotate the bit.

I was amazed on how smoothly the screw came loose after I could not even budge it by hand.