View Single Post
Unread 04-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen newell View Post
Just wondering. I see classic car restorations on various tv shows bringing big bucks at auction. While i can understand that an all original parker would be most desirable and priced accordingly, why would a parker that has been restored to origonal spec be worth considerably less? Why would they be viewed any differently than a classic car restoration?
I'm sure you'll get opinions on this (great) question. I'll let those with more strongly held opinions weigh in, but I do want to point out that since I've been keeping track over the past 5-7 years I've seen (well-) restored guns bring higher and higher prices (as a percentage of what an original would bring). When I visited with Brad Bachelder last summer we talked about this. He told me that his restored guns were averaging about 85+% of what a gun in strong original condition would bring.

I base my observations on what I have seen restored guns advertised for and what they go for at auction (Of course not all restorations are equal). Certainly not methodologically perfect, but it serves a purpose. I have no way of knowing the sale price of those dealer held, restored guns.

I worked in an art conservation lab for years, and I can tell you that when you visit a museum the paintings on display there (my area was painting, so I can't speak to other media) in all likelihood had had some either conservation or restoration (there IS a difference) work done to them at a rate of nearly 90% IF the piece was at least 60+ years old. I've always found it intriguing that for art of value, good conservation work (again, different from restoration) brings the premium.

Certainly a gun that has issues brought back to high condition by someone who knows what he's doing should (and does as far as I have observed) bring a higher price. The gun collecting community is evolving.

...And then there is the English gun, which, if it has any age on it, has very likely been sent to a smith regularly for barrel and stock work.

Collecting is what it is...
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: