Thread: Skeet Load
View Single Post
Unread 02-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #10
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Buy the Claybuster wads and save some money. I've been shooting 3/4oz loads with the CBer wads for a couple of years now and have been happy. In each bag they have a data sheet showing numerous loads. Many guys on other forums claim you want closer to 1300fps to get the load so it doesn't have a hot core. With a load this light another 100fps won't make a difference with recoil, at least I don't mind it. A article was written that 3/4oz loads at 1200fps or less were so tight at skeet ranges the author had to use spreaders or fiber wads. I load at what should be 1300 and use them for all the clay games. And pressure is not in the formula for recoil. Weight of the components and velocity is though. You are right if everything else is the same and more powder is used, you'll get more pressure/velocity and in turn more recoil. But with a different powder you could get a higher velocity with less pressure. If I was reloading 2 1/2" folded shells I'd use CBer wads meant for 1 1/8oz of shot and just put in 3/4oz of shot. The CBer wads meant for 3/4, 7/8 [ except the 4100 wad ] , 1, 1 1/8, and so on all have the same base construction, just a different cushion height, so it doesn't matter which one you use at the pressures we're reloading at. I've talked to them at CBers and was told he couldn't give a official reply, but if it were him, he wouldn't be afraid to sub in wads. If you want the load data for 3/4oz of shot try this: information@claybusterwads.com or this
Customer Service: 800-922-6287, or let me know if they don't have it and I'll help. For 3/4oz in the 2 1/2" shell I use the CB-1138-12 wad meant for 1 3/8oz. The fingers of the wad stick up a small bit, but fold right over when it's crimped.