View Single Post
Unread 12-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #12
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,181 Times in 271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harm View Post
Wish I would have seen Bills post a week ago before we got our reloading order. I would have ordered some extra lite. Bill, you probably already know that Rem, Win, Cheddite, and a couple of other mild primers will all interchange without changing pressures enough to worry about at the pressures we're reloading at. Those Remington primers [ and I'm a big Remington fan and collector ] are awful expensive. I too have shot 3/4oz loads for years but you guys have got me thinking.
Hi Paul,

Agreed, those Remington STS209 primers are expensive. I've lucked out buying them. I got 4 bricks of them, 4,000 primers, at a gun show for $30.00 per brick. And I found about another 1500 at a small local gun shop for about $30 per brick. And I got 5 bricks of them online for $38.00 each plus shipping, etc. which isn't too painful.

A lot of my shooting is with my early A grade 12 gauge Fox. Turns out the firing pins when the hammers are down extend into the standing breech, and therefore into the primers about 0.062". About 0.010" more than a couple other doubles I shoot.

Thus after both barrels are fired into Winchester primers for example, the gun is hard to break open because the firing pins are a little too far into the fired primers. It doesn't do that with the harder Remington's so the gun breaks open nice and easy.

I don't use Cheddite's because I think they are just slightly larger in diameter than USA primers and make the primer pocket just a little bigger so that if I go back to USA primers, those would be a little loose. It actually probably doesn't amount too much tho.

I do use Winchester 209's for my other loads at a much more reasonable price. And that helps I guess.

Bill
Bill Jolliff is offline   Reply With Quote