View Single Post
Unread 11-18-2019, 05:12 PM   #10
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Yearout View Post
Thanks Ed. The gun is my 16ga Fox A grade; the last day I carried my 16ga Fox Sterlingworth ejector. I've found that 1oz. of #6's works fine for me on wild pheasants, though I've used #5's at times too. If you hit 'em either will do the job. I prefer 7-1/2's for quail.
Phil,
I just purchased a 16 gauge fox sterlingworth with 28" barrels, I believe its improved cylinder and improved modified chokes. The shells I am using are RST falcon lite under load on the box it says 7/8. The fox is a philadelphia era gun, so would you shoot the 1 oz. load through that gun also? I just asked the guy at fieldsport where I bought the R.S.T. shells to get me the lightest load they had. I apologize for all the questions I have but I have not hunted in so long I don't know a lot about guns. I have been using the 28" barreled fox for grouse and woodcock and recently it worked well on planted pheasants. I also have a parker vh? with 26" barrels and similar chokes, that gun has been refinished and is almost to nice to hunt with. I am guessing a 28 inch to 30 inch long barreled gun would be best with tighter chokes for that type of pheasant hunting out west then. It would just seem to give me another reason to get that one more gun I need for my recent addiction Thanks again for everyones input in this forum.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote