Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,191 Times in 12,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Dean,
How often do you find yourself lamenting changes for the worse in matters relating to hunting opportunities? I read similar lamentations in sporting books from past generations of sporting authors. It makes one wonder what the next generations will find...or even if they will care.

Practically speaking, there is no comparison. Aside from the biological disappearance of pheasants, habitat loss would have done it nearly as quickly. Most farmland has been sold off to developers for industry, retail, and housing developments. When I drive along the streets of towns in the area where I grew up it is difficult to imagine they were once strongholds for a diversity of upland game and property owners back then were more than happy to allow hunting as long as respect was shown for the landowner and his livestock and equipment.
Most towns and cities in eastern Massachusetts have outlawed the discharge of firearms today with more following suit every year. Mid-state and the western part of the state haven't suffered these problems so much but Massachusetts politics and urban mores will eventually overrun the entire state one day.

I get to go back only in my memories these days and when I want to hunt unencumbered like in the old days, I drive a couple of hours to Vermont or Maine where, just like in the 50's and 60's in Mass., I can be hunting when I step out the door on a frosty morning...

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: