View Single Post
Unread 10-30-2017, 03:05 PM   #17
Timothy Salgado
PGCA Member

Member Info

The only thing that I see with the NAVHDA system that is unrelated to classic setters would be the duck search / blind retrieve aspect of training. That's a personal decision, I hunt upland and waterfowl so I would train my dog for waterwork regardless of the breed.
The pointing dog aspect of the training would be the same whether the dog is a GSP, Brittany, Setter or Pointer. They'll need to range and search, locate birds, point and hold and remain steady through wing and shot if that's the level of trained dog you want. The additional aspect of tracking a wounded bird is also essential in recovering game. The OP asked about books for dog training and I think he has enough time to pick a couple of the ones listed to read through and see which he feels is best for him. I checked NAVHDA's website and see that there are three chapters located in Michigan so the OP can contact the closest and see for himself whether their system will work for him. I just think NAVHDA is the most user friendly with their local chapter setup for all the resources I listed in my earlier post.
By the way although I'm a Life Member of NAVHDA, I currently own flushing retrievers because my main quarry are pheasants and waterfowl, and that's what works for me.
Take care and good luck.
Timothy Salgado is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timothy Salgado For Your Post: