View Single Post
Unread 08-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #13
Hixie
PGCA Member

Member Info

I've become tuned into what birds are doing.

At my feeders lots of species are molting, growing in new feathers to take them on their journeys south. Some species, like Rose-breasted Grosbeak are already gone.

My last ruby-throated hummingbird banding session in the Adirondacks turned up only two adult males out of 25 birds caught. The adult males are the first to go.

The newly fledged songbirds are no longer begging for food from their parents and actively finding food on their own.

Species that don't breed in my area start to show up at the feeders, a good indication that they are migrants heading south.

I still haven't seen immature American Goldfinches as they are late breeders in my area. They'll show up anytime now at my feeders.

All migratory species are actively feeding on what is usually a peak in food availability at this time of the year to build up reserves for migration.

Flocks of Canada and Snow geese heading south high overhead.

But then there are other local signs...apple orchards opening up for pick-your-own business. White-tailed deer fawns with mostly faded spots. Those huge ears of white corn-on-the-cob that have had all Summer to grow. The crispness of the air in early morning. As has been mentioned already, some leaves are beginning to turn color.

Something always tells me to take stock of my ammo supply and get what is lacking. Setting aside a day to go to the range to check rifles. I am shooting my bow every day now. Then there is the scheduling juggle for time to hunt vs. other commitments. I mean, who schedules a wedding in October??? Really??? I am going to give up a weekend in October to go to a wedding???
Ted Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ted Hicks For Your Post: