Unread 06-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #16
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,162 Times in 825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Eis View Post
We can take care of that part of you not being on the board.....
Oh no no no.....!! I was chatting the other day with someone on PGCA, and they asked how much effort it takes to host the site - and after walking them through the daily effort - their reply was "and you sleep when.. "..

Seriously in a nutshell, in the AM (every AM, unless I'm in Haiti): back up the databases, reply to PMs (there are 5 to 10 a day), manually approve new registrations and manually check each any "questionable" registrations (by IP), install any server updates, do a quick scan of the newest threads posted by folks, answer any "help me e-mails" that come into my ADMIN account for folks who are *stuck* in the registration process (and other issues, there are quite a range!), attempt to check new registrations against an outdated roster, and pop them on as a Member, etc.. I do the same thing late afternoon (except the DB backup) and late evening each night... If I'm traveling, I do the same thing - again except the DB backup.. (Yes - a number of your registrations were actually approved from an iPhone in Haiti - or walking a corn field in KS during pheasant season with Bruce.. )

Now - that's 7 days a week - and you'd want to to "assist me with more work"???

Yer' a buddy....

Your ex-friend....

JD
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote