View Single Post
Un-struck Barrel Weight v. Actual (Again!)
Unread 06-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,601 Times in 3,090 Posts

Default Un-struck Barrel Weight v. Actual (Again!)

I've started a thread in the past about the stamped, un-struck barrel weight of a set of barrels and the actual weight of those barrels after Parker's barrel wizards worked them to their finished state. I've inventoried my collection -- meager as it is -- and have found a wide range of differences in the stamped and final barrel weights. This includes weights for the entire gun as specified in their research letters. In other words, I have some confidence in the originality of the final barrel weights of some of the guns I've documented. I understand that honing barrels to remove pits takes out weight. That's not the question I have.

I have not found any case in which there was not a reduction in barrel weight after striking. The amount can certainly vary, but the finished barrels of those I've weighed have always been lighter. Always. And usually by several ounces minimum.

I recently saw an advertisement for a Parker for sale. It was a 2-barrel set and a high grade gun. The seller -- a dealer -- stated that the stamped, un-struck barrel weight and the current weight were the same.

Has anyone else observed a documented case where the stamped and finished barrel weights were the same?

Just curious...and skeptical...
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote