Thread: Arrieta 578
View Single Post
Arrieta 578
Unread 07-02-2023, 10:19 AM   #1
Troy Giles
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Arrieta 578

Good morning and Happy 4th of July to everyone.

I preface this by saying I do not know that much about firearms. I have a decent collection of doubles but know little in comparison to all of you.

I had an Arrieta made about 20 years ago. 12 gauge, straight stock, case colored with removable side plates, ejectors, double trigger, splinter, upgraded wood, etc. This was back when Orvis handled them.

In any event, I do like the gun although I feel like the barrels are really delicate. I have always (since day 1) had trouble getting the splinter fore end off. It has driven me crazy at times coming back from a hunt or shoot and I literally cannot get the splinter off (which sucks when using a take-down case). I switched to a long case to avoid the hassle. Admittedly, the gun has probably been shot less than 200 times and I always thought it would loosen. If anything, its tighter. Not sure why sometimes it comes off and other times (like right now) I cannot get the splinter off.

So now, I need to have a blemish in the bluing fixed and probably should also have the splinter corrected. There might also be a slight "ding" (tiny) toward the muzzle. I used to have Dennis Potter at Boxhorn work on my guns. But that resource is no longer available (he was great!).

Sorry for the long "wind up" but can anyone recommend a good gunsmith that has experience with Arrietas? I want the bluing factory correct and maybe this issue with the splinter is common.

Thank you.
Troy Giles is offline   Reply With Quote