View Single Post
Unread 08-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #8
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,167 Times in 3,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Lorenz View Post
I only put tape on them because I seen others did. Not really sure why. Here is the SN 17523. The bores are clean for the most part.
the book lists that gun as a grade 3 12 gauge with 30 inch barrels, just what the pictures show - a great unmessed with gun.

with the barrels mounted, but not the foreend- hold the gun vertical and give it a shake with a twist of the wrist, i doubt you will hear it rattle, (this checks the barrel being on face to the action), and hang the barrels by the barrel hook from a finger (over a bed is a good idea in case they fall) and flick the barrels with a finger nail from the other hand - you should hear a gentle ring like a tuning fork- this shows the solder is in good shape- i fully expect this gun to pass these simple tests with flying colors.

hopefully - an Ohio member can refer you to someone who can check the wall thickness - or offer to do it for you. with the family history - but I do not expect the bores have been honed.

Order from shells from RST and enjoy it

I think any of us would be very thrilled to have that gun as a family heirloom - I would not do any thing more than a gentle cleaning and keep it. You'll likely get offers, if you have not already- ignore them please

keep it for the next generation