View Single Post
Gun Infidelity
Unread 04-07-2022, 03:04 PM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,601 Times in 3,090 Posts

Default Gun Infidelity

I sometimes feel like I'm cheating on a gun when I stop using one that's served me well to use a new one. Anyone else have that feeling?

Here's several of my one-time go-to guns that now have been "jilted" by me for another pretty face.

If you have a jilted gun and a photo, how about share it here?

Photos 1 & 2

One of my first good doubles was this little 28 bore John Dickson and Sons boxlock. I used this gun for more years that any other I have owned, and it accounted for more birds, including pheasants (we had them in the area back then), than any other gun I've owned. It came with a short stock with a leather covered recoil pad. Climbing an ice covered rocky bluff in NE Iowa after late season grouse, I fell and broke its stock. Jack Rowe made a replacement to my measurements, and the gun only improved my shooting. The quintessential grouse and woodcock gun, one season this little beauty took grouse in 5 states. I've not used it in over 6 years, and I feel guilty.

Photos 3 & 4

This CSMC Fox 16 gauge was ordered after Elaine and I visited the factory and got a personal tour from Tony. I wanted 29 inch barrels and a weight below 6 lbs. Tony delivered. I had my best dog, Prairie Trace, engraved on the floor plate. I took this gun to Montana where we added Huns, Sharptails, mountain Ruffed Grouse and Blue grouse to the checked-off section of my bucket list. It's a great gun for long and open shots especially, with a bit of weight forward to help keep my swing going. It has a special place in the safe, but hasn't seen daylight in a while.

Photos 5 & 6

I like back action hammer guns. I finally found one in 16 bore that fit my needs. This Cogswell and Harrison has 30 inch Damascus barrels, is tightly choked, high stocked, and weighs under 6 lbs. With a spreader load in the right barrel, it's a great prairie quail gun, and can reach out for them with it's left barrel. It takes pheasants over points by our dogs with authority. I had Brad Bachelder add a leather covered pad which only improved its fit. I shoot this gun as well as any I've used on wild birds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0027.jpeg (393.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0205.jpg (531.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0092_1.jpg (502.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0101_1.jpg (549.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0047.jpg (530.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2590.jpg (534.7 KB, 3 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: