View Single Post
Unread 06-06-2020, 08:18 AM   #5
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roemer View Post
I have a double trigger straight grip Merkel in 20 gauge. I like it very much. Plenty light and never have had an issue with it. I believe the wood is much more straight grain on Merkel than any Parker repro I’ve seen. I do like the Parker wood-more interesting. I like the Merkel cross bolt action- appears strong and is interesting mechanically. I believe it’s a Greener design. When opening the action it is quite tight. Probably will become looser, but hasn’t in the 15 years I’ve owned it. I only use for hunting though so not a lot of use. I’ve never owned a repro but appreciate them. I believe the Parker probably has more collecting value. Do the pre and post GDR guns differ?
I was big time into Merkel's at one time before I switched over to Parkers and Foxes. Owned several because I was stationed in Germany at the time and they were amazingly inexpensive compared to here. Had a 20 gauge 47SL, a 28 and 20 gauge 122E, a 16 gauge 122E and a 1620. Also owned a couple of 47E models. None of them gave me a lick of trouble in any way. All were double trigger guns. Never had one with poor layout when it comes wood. German's IMO are much more into strength then figure as a rule. Some of the higher grade Merkel's still had so so walnut as far a figure went as compared a lot of other guns for sure, but they were strong. I think they basically took the same design and turned then into double rifles for shooting cape buffalo was why there were so stubborn on having great grain layout where it counts. Regarding breaking a Merkel in, it takes forever because the tolerances are so tight. My buddy still had two Merkel's that I bought from him circa 1995 and that's all he shoots. Still no problems ever. The 147E 28 gauge is fantastic. Half knob grip and killer walnut. That particular gun I special ordered for him when I ordered two others and requested they upgrade the wood and they sure did. IMO they are over built to some degree for sure. They however won't let you down. IMO the quality today isn't what it was in the early to mid 90's, which in itself was better then the GDR made guns.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote