View Single Post
Unread 06-18-2018, 09:11 AM   #14
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,312 Times in 1,219 Posts

Here's a cut taken from the American Field newspaper of the 22 gents who shot straight (25/25) to qualify for the miss-and-out shootoff at the 1901 Live Bird GAH. Sorry the size/quality of this AF pic copy isn't the best when you expand it. Picture was taken on April 13, 1901, and was no doubt supplied by Interstate to the sporting journals. As it turned out the next day, the Live Bird GAH winner was Griffith who fielded a Parker. 2nd place Morrison with a Winchester. 3rd and 4th places were also taken by Parkers, Bennett and Barto respectively.

Some time ago I bought an original silver albumen picture of this scene with the photographer's logo and names of the shooters by row and place inscribed on its matting. It was spotted in a gallery near Philly and I recognized the grouping and ran to get it the next day. It's probably the only original picture of the straights extant and I keep it in a dark/humidity controlled vault. But with that said I often take it to SxS events in the east and if anyone wants to see the original, let me know where and when and I'll let you know if I plan to be there. The clarity of this original picture is absolutely amazing due to that silver albumen photo process and when digitized I can see the weave in Ansley's sweater and the detail of the pigeon pin on his cool hat (front row, 4th from left). Also that the gent standing behind and to the right of him is wearing pinstriped pants. In case someone wonders, I won't post copies of this original picture or of the individual shooters/places as it would be so easy for gents to copy, and next I know I'll see them for sale on E Bay etc.

This may the only original picture of Ansley H Fox that's been found. Some day I'll figure out what to do to keep it honest for posterity. Just about the end of an era with the "Who's who" of Live Bird champs in 1901.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AF 4.13.1901.jpg (72.9 KB, 46 views)
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post: