View Single Post
Unread 10-18-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,977 Times in 1,422 Posts

Steve,

There really is no correct answer to your question on choke tubes. It's a matter of preference. It's like novice trapshooters asking is it better to use 7 1/2's or 8 shot. It's what you feel comfortable with and how your gun patterns with the shot.

If one had only one shotgun for skeet,trap, sporting clays, and hunting, then choke tubes make sense.

I have Briley thin wall chokes in my trap gun and using the modified choke (.020), it will smoke targets from the 25 yard line if I do my part. I wouldn't want to use the improved cylinder choke for the same distance though. Personally, I feel it's better to be overchoked than underchoked.

Using and switching choke tubes on a sporting clays course can cause you to think more about the size choke in your gun instead of concentrating on making the correct shot to the target. Too easy to blame the miss on your choke selection. I've seen many master class shooters use the IC choke tube on all the stations.

You also have added cleaning requirements when using choke tubes. You run the risk of having the choke tube freeze up in the barrel if the tube isn't taken out for a long time. It's no easy thing to free up a rusted in choke tube.

Last, you can decrease the value of some guns and limit the saleability if you ever want to sell one. This applies to some of the classic guns such as the model 12 and vintage guns such as Parkers, etc.
Chuck Bishop is online now   Reply With Quote