View Single Post
Unread 08-26-2019, 07:09 PM   #9
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
That's why the 3-frame and larger frames were developed - so there would be sufficient wall thickness in the critical area of roughly the first ten inches from the breech... and the taper begins even well before the ten inches. After that point the pressure drops off significantly.

Wasnt there 1 Parker 10 ga built on a #1 frame ? I thought I read that somewhere on this forum . I wonder if thats how it was built with minimal taper on the barrels . The 10" from the breech , on English made guns didnt that mark that on the proof mark ? I think they measured 9" from the breech though . The bore diameter that is , may be unrelated but I was looking at a Birmingham made 8 ga that the proof marks indicated it had a 10 ga bore 9" from the breech . At least that what I was told by a friend who has a book on proof marks . Maybe thats how that 10 ga on the #1 frame was built . Perhaps 10 ga chambers that squeezed down to a 12 ga bore . I have seen a few sxs guns built like that . I would think doing that would raise the pressures significantly. Theres a few 10 ga Parkers on #2 frames on gunbroker right now as well .

I put my 8 gauge barrels beside a set of 10 ga barrels . The breech diameters dont look that much difference but you can tell the 8 ga barrels dont start to taper as early as the 10 ga barrels .

Now I was looking at a 10 ga hammer gun on guns international . Its got some heafty barrels and weighs in 10 3/4lbs and the muzzles look pretty thick . But even so the gun has alot of taper to the barrels .

I like heavy barreled 10 gauges especially when shooting the RST 1 1/8 oz loads .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote