View Single Post
Unread 08-26-2019, 06:14 PM   #3
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
There is not too much difference in size between the frames.

The barrels on the mag 10s look heavy because they are. They are very thick and not struck too much for balance. They are pretty much an even taper from breech to muzzle.
And... the frames on the mag 10 and the super 10 are the same.

The 3 frame 10g Parker is not consider a “light” 10. A 2 frame 10 would be. The 3 frame is considered to be the standard and most common size for a 10g.
So the NID frame is just longer but not bigger ? I read that Parker also produced 10 ga 3.5s around the same time as the NID mags . How did they go about building theirs ? I have never seen a picture of one . I have seen a #3 frame hammer gun that had 3.5" chambers but figured someone done that themselves . The articles I have read on the NID 10 mag states that Ithaca did alot of R&D on building a frame to handle the extra load . Parker however already had frame sizes suitable so I was wondering if they built theirs on frames they already had or modified a #3 frame ?

One of the reasons I was asking as well I have seen a few 8 gauges built on 10 ga 3.5s doubles from the 1960s . I had wondered if those frame were just that much larger than the older 10 ga frames that were designed for the 2 7/8s . I want to say it was a Dogs and Doubles article that I read . I was curious in what ways they beefed up guns with the 10 ga 3.5 .

I really liked the 10 ga 2 7/8 chamber myself and may get another in the future . I love reading the history on how these big guns came to be .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote