View Single Post
Unread 01-26-2018, 02:28 PM   #8
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Poer View Post
I disagree, I'd say they are just getting into their prime and sounds like you have gotten some dang good proper use out of them. I have the all leather Gokey boots as well, but mine are only 10 years old. Yep they are heavier than some, but worth it, for the peace of mind. I don't think they are ugly at all and have been told so and complimented by a couple of women that I know that have briefly seen me wear mine. Every time they say "why don't men wear tall boots anymore". I could care less about the fashion part of it, but their comments surprised me. If they function to protect me from a bite, protect your clothes, heck have even worn them for trail rides, then good, bad or ugly all works for me.

Now that is a testament stopping a Gaboon Viper hit. They have two inch fangs and are heavy and strong enough to get through something not designed for snake protection. You need to let Orvis know about that.
I was being tongue in cheek with the ugly comment, but mine are also equipped with LOTS of "patina" Oh, and I need to set the record straight....the snake in Africa was a Puff Adder, not a Gaboon Viper!! I don't know what kind of "Freudian typo" made me pull that name up! Although the 'ol Puff adder is no slouch in the fang department either! It felt like someone was using a driver to knock my foot out from under me! The scary thing was that my wife was immediately behind me on the trail, and she was wearing chukka boots! Needless to say, my yelling, and the .416 Remington shot screwed up the Hartebeest we were stalking for Robin! Two Bushman trackers walking the same trail, just ahead of me walked right by that snake barefoot! That was the last day of our hunting safari, and the only day I wore snake boots. The rest of the trip I wore a pair of Westley Richards buffalo hide low tops, but I had soaked them through the evening before helping the PH's work on the camp water well, so I wore the Gokey's that I had brought for back-up!

A couple of shots of the subject boots!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sundaysnipe.jpg (140.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg november stuff 018.jpg (527.3 KB, 8 views)