View Single Post
Recommendations for late season Kansas pheasant
Unread 01-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #1
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,829 Times in 2,017 Posts

Default Recommendations for late season Kansas pheasant

Got the call yesterday, my buddy Mike is going out to Kansas, his third trip this year, and asked me if I wanted to come out for 5-6 days. Well, hell yes, but I need to square things up in the office , but it looks doable. I will be driving separately, as he is staying for 2 weeks. I do not expect big numbers of birds this late in the season, and expect a lot of walking. Decent quail hunting will be a bonus. I am not a 12 ga guy, but do have 9 16 ga 's--don't even own a 12 Parker, do have a Fox pin gun choked cyl/m. Was planning on bringing 16's only. Right now the most appropriate guns would seem to be an Ithaca 4E 16 m/f, sterly 16 m/f, Parker VH 1 frame IC/IC, and a Rizzini 16 ou with double triggers and choke tubes. Would like to bring my GH16 o frame Damascus, but would have to shoot lighter loads thru it.
I have several boxes of factory 1 1/8 0z 4's, 5's, and sixes, 1oz 4's and 6's,
and my reloads that are 1oz 6's and straight 7's. I never shoot over an oz here, but those birds were released not wild.
I will be shooting over setters, but my dogs have never seen wild pheasants, but are very good grouse dogs. Mike has setters also. Kenny Graft met Mike in Kansas earlier this year.
Will be staying in the Hill city area --any of you out that way?? This will be a first for me to hunt wild pheasants.